Hurray I'm One

Hurray I'm One

Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Hospital

Sunday Dec 12 we got to take a very exciting trip in an ambulance to St. Johns. I called the nurse on call to see if I needed to take him into urgent care or the er and she listened to him breathing and informed me she was calling the ambulance for us. When we got there he was given a chest xray and they told us he had pneumonia again. They also swabbed his nose. When we got up to his room is when they informed us that he had RSV. We spent 6 very long days in the hospital. He was a roller coaster there. One day he didn't need his IV any more, the next he stopped eating and started having diarrhea so they started the IV again. One day he didn't need oxygen any more a few hours later they had to turn it back on and turn the flow up. I couldn't tell if he was getting better, staying the same, or getting worse. Every night he would spike a fever. He would cough so hard he would throw up. He went hoarse from the coughing. He got an ear infection. We are all exhausted, stressed, and emotional about it.  He came home yesterday. He is still on oxygen and a pulse ox monitor. He pretty much sleeps all the time. He can stay awake for about an hour, hour and a half. He does talk to you, smile, play, and just hang out which is a huge improvement from just Thursday. I'm so ready to have my happy baby back. Ami has been sick for almost a month now. First pneumonia and ear infection, then the stomach flu, now this. I am so close to pulling him from daycare. I have been working in daycare for years and I know that kids get sick but good grief. I know it's not necessarily the daycare's fault. They clean, I've seen it. I work there but the hospital stay has just about pushed me over the edge. If I take him out of daycare then what do I do with him? I have to work, Josh has to work, and really there is no one else that can really take care of him. Plus I know I would miss him like crazy if he wasn't there with me. I know I'm just upset right now but I have the right to be. We did have some super great nurses though. You could tell that they liked what they were doing, and they cared about his well being. It also kind of helped that I knew two of them personally. The doctor said to keep him isolated for a while because his immune system is shot right now. I'm afraid we won't be making it to any Christmases this year. Everyone will have to come and see us. I'm glad that he won't be able to remember any of this. I'm afraid it's going to turn me into one of those neurotic moms that freak out about every little thing now. One of those moms that I can't stand. We really appreciate all of the thoughts and prayers that were sent our way. We appreciate all of the help and support everyone has given also. He is one very loved little boy and we are a very blessed family.

1 comment:

  1. Good grief, Tyla!! I'm so sorry you guys are having to go through this! Praying he gets back to normal soon!!

    ReplyDelete